Monday, September 28, 2020

Xbox App Keeps Pinning to Taskbar Windows 10

 Every time I would reboot my Windows 10 computer, the Microsoft Xbox app would reappear on my taskbar.  I could unpin the x-box app and it would go away, but as soon as I reboot the computer, the xbox app repinned itself and showed back up.

I spent a long time trouble shooting user profiles and looking in the registry but could not find a solution that stopped the xbox app from reappearing on my windows 10 task bar.   Finally I found a solution.

Open Explorer and navigate to:

  1. C:\Users\your-username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\
    (if windows is installed on a different drive, replace the C: with that drive.)
  2. Open the file in Edit mode (right click and edit) Layoutmodification.xml
  3. Look for this line:  <CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection> or <defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
     (use ctrl-F)
  4. Delete everything between <defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout> and </defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
    It should be something like <taskbar:TaskbarPinList> through </taskbar:TaskbarPinList>





Reboot!.  That should remove the xbox icon from your Windows 10 tray permanently.

It seems that MSI computers and MSI laptops (computers with MSI motherboards) often have this xbox app hard-coded to the taskbar.  You'll need to implement the above fix to stop the xbox icon from reappearing on your taskbar after reboot.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Oh my god. I've been trying to find how to get rid of it for so long! Thank you again!

Curt said...

YES!! For anyone wondering, THIS WORKS! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

This is the ONLY answer you want to search the web for if you have a MSI computer and Windows 10 Home Edition. This worked without having to install Windows 10 Pro or trying to install the Edit Local Group stuff. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

This worked for me! I've had my MSI GE66 for a little over a year and this problem randomly started a few days ago. Of all the things I tried, this is the only one that fixed it. Thank you so much!

Bad_Mako said...

Finally got my ass off Win8, and got Win10 with a new rig ... and was infuriated by this XBox GameAss that kept pinning to my taskbar.
These instructions are spon-on . . . and very much appreciated. Thank you -

Anonymous said...

I can understand the need for pinning stuff on the desktop or taskbar if it's a laptop or factorybuilt PC, but on a homebulit/thirdparty built PC?
But I suppose "Asus ROG" says where the focus is at...

Ruan Swart said...

Absolute legend! Definitely the simplest way other then using registry files to sort out this problem, quick and easy.

Recently went from an old MSI GP62 to a MSI 15M, weird issue but at least with this the problem was short lived.

Venom said...

Thank you so much.
This solution worked on my MSI Katana GF66.

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, this does not work for me. None of the steps brings up the options listed. Right click doesn't bring up edit mode option. I get Layoutmodification.xml, but clicking on it (right or left) brings up box asking which app I want to use to open it.
Wish this did work. It is very annoying to keep seeing that dumb icon.

Anonymous said...

open it with NOTEPAD

Unknown said...

I've tried similar solutions before, but this is the first one that actually WORKED!
thanks.

Andrew said...

please update this for windows 11 users. Got the same problem on my MSI.

Wayne Robinson said...

It's the same file location Windows 11 Home.

Anonymous said...

Worked perfectly in Windows 11 Home on a MSI Stealth 16 Studio laptop, thanks!

turkan said...

This worked in Windows 11 Home on my MSI Bravo C7VF laptop. Thank you so much!