Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Don't follow up to a Job Application with This!

Wow, some people are just too stupid to live:

I just received this email in reference to one of many active positions that my company is recruiting for.

"So I sent this mail some time ago and received no response. I would love to hear back from you- at least a "no." I find the recent activities of recruiters I have dealt with to be deplorable. Just because larger numbers of applicants are submitting interests in positions does not mean you can ignore people. A simple stock email will suffice. Don't be rude. I am overqualified for your position anyway. But since you lack the necessary decorum to reply, and obviously the foresight to recognize a perfect fit when you see one, I guess you and your company have missed out on an opportunity to improve your workforce. Good day. "

Wow, just wow. First off "Duffy", are you sure your email ever made it through? (Which it did not). When you include your screenplay writing hobby and talk about time off that you need right in your cover letter, you should recognize that your email can easily get caught in spam filters. Next time (though please don't apply here again), you might try a follow up letter first confirming receipt.

Second, waiting a month is not that uncommon in today's busy grind.

Third, when a company has limited resources to begin with, yes, it sometimes is unreasonable to send even a stock form letter to the over 880 applicants that applied for a position.

None of this matters, you just successfully disqualified yourself.

4 comments:

Erik Svendsen said...

Wow. Some people just don't know how the business world works. I doubt he'll find a job anytime soon!

Anonymous said...

I had three interviews with a company once and never got a reply to my inquirers afterward.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm now a days.

Thoughts said...

JohnnyD,
That kind of sucks. If they got as far as to interview you, you deserved a response.
In this case, we never even spoke to the person.

Rabbi said...

Wow. So here is the rule on call backs: A conversation needs to have taken place in order to expect a response.

Let me make a comapison.

Some guy on street yells at a passing Limo carrying G.E. CEO asking for a job. Is the G.E. CEO a bad guy cuase he didn't lean out of the limo and yell no, thanks for your intrest in my company?