Here are the differences I noticed so far on the HTC Touch Pro 2 Windows Mobile 6.1 vs Windows Mobile 6.5 for Verizon Wireless:
- A new unlock screen. Now when you lock the phone you can still see the time, date, and your next calendar appointment. The unlock feature has now changed from pressing two separate buttons to a locking slider, just like on the Droid Eris. Additionally, the lock itself indicates if you have any new emails. (This is my favorite update).
- All of the icons on the
TouchFlo3DSense UI slider are now in color.
- Setting up the synchronization with an Exchange Server works a bit better, as it is able to predict the name of your exchange server.
- Options now exist to set up yahoo and gmail email accounts when you initialize the phone.
- The home screen now has an animated flip clock.
- The home screen now has GPS weather for your current location (current conditions, temp, highs, lows)
- The HTC weather app now has a default weather graphic that uses GPS to show conditions (prior version was set to a static location).
- The camera now allows you to set GPS coordinate tagging to photos if you choose.
- A prior issue in which switching from wifi to verizon data would cause your opera to stop working has been resolved, it now switches between wifi on/off smoothly.
- Pocket Internet Explorer had a HUGE update. It looks totally different, is much faster and has built in Adobe Flash Lite.
- Apps installed by default: Everything it had before: Preinstalled Verizon TP2 App List AND now includes 'Bing', and 'Search Phone' (which allows you to search through emails, texts, files, etc.)
- Opera 9.5 is loading sites much faster than before.
- The notification bar now also shows you % of battery life remaining.
- I don't know how battery life is yet, I have heard some complaints that it is worse than before
I don't know yet if they used the same crappy bluetooth stack that they had before. I will find out later today when I pair it to my car.It seems they repaired the bluetooth stack. Now you are able to hang up calls using most cars and paired headphones (my Infiniti G37 was not able to hang up my calls prior to this update)
- Install Microsoft MyPhone on your cell phone before you update it. Synchronize your entire phone (pictures, docs, text and email if you are not using exchange). This will allow you to easily import the data back in your phone after your update.
- Any specific applications that you installed will be wiped out. Make sure you have a copy of them on your storage card (which will be unaffected by the update.
- If you are currently using the Windows Marketplace, and you install the update, simply access the marketplace again once the update is done and it will automatically let you reinstall anything that you purchased or downloaded on your old version.