Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Microsoft Word Indents After Bullet 10.)

I hear this complaint/question a lot: "Why does word indent my title after I hit bullet 10"

Well, I don't know why it does it, but I can tell you how to fix it.

In Word 2003 (office 2003)

Go to the line that you start having problems with (usually # 10.) and click at the very beginning of the text. Now right click, select "bullets and numbering" click the tab called "Numbered", now click the "Customize" button, In the field labeled "Number position" choose "Right" (instead of left). Okay your changes. It should not be formatted consistent with 1.2.3.....9

In Office 2007 (Word 2007)
Highlight the numbered section that you have issue with, on the home tab, in the paragraph pane, click the drop-down to the right of the numbering icon. Select define new numbering format, and change the alignment to right. Okay your changes.

For search engines:
Why does Microsoft Word indent my text after bullet number 10?
Stop word from indenting my text after bullet 10
Why does word extra spaces after my bullets reach number 10?
Why is word formatting my bullets differently after 10.?

13 comments:

eknopf said...

thank you! man, this was driving me nuts!

Maler said...

Thank you so much! Word is SO annoying.

Alex said...

I often work with doc files. Some days ago I converted doc file into docx and my data was was lost. I didn't know what to do next,and entered in the Google and began searching the tool which could be restore the file. I throve and discovered like software - recovery for word. It determined my trouble quite quickly and free of charge as far as I remembered.

Marc said...

Thank you!

Ife' said...

Thank you! This was so helpful! I thought I was losing it over here :)

Anthony said...

Works! Add's an indent to every number but at least the format is consistent.

Peter said...

Thanks so much. Talk about stupid technology! That hs been bugging me for ages - and as usual, Microdoft is absolutely rubbish in helping with its REAL glitches.

Rajath V S Moodithaya said...

Thanks again!

Mr Braeuer said...

Legend... Don't have to poke myself in the eye with a fork now... It was driving me nuts but thanks to you I've regained a little sanity (I do stress, a little!) ;-)

Chris Lagarde said...

Thanks for taking the time to write this post on number formatting in Word. In the past when I've searched for a solution, I'd get caught in a long winded treatise on Word styles. Finally, the Google gods have smiled on me once I used the right search terms and found your post!

MSWMelissa said...

You just saved me hours of potential headache.

NATIONALIST said...

YOU MOVE ME....THANKKKKS A LOOOOOT

Ganesh Sadanandan said...

Tahnks a TON!!!